Monday, November 29, 2010

Utah Valley Regional Medical Center


            A little over a week ago, late one Tuesday night, I found myself in the Emergency Room. A game of pick-up basketball got a little aggressive too quickly and a stray elbow found its way to my face, breaking my nose in several spots. A smiling volunteer helped me talk to the right doctor, whom while cracking a few jokes, asked how the injury occurred. He typed the information into the computer and handed me off to another nurse who would take me back to take some x-rays. Grudgingly I followed an overly polite nurse who commented on the amount of injuries they have every night from BYU intramural sports. I could only smile as I saw 3 guys my age being attended to. All had carpooled to play in the same football game but also carpooled together to the hospital to get broken or bruised noses, knees, and fingers examined. Through my hospital visit, each and every one of the volunteers and staff members who assisted me was so friendly. I was the last patient to come in for the night so a few nurses brought me some Oreos and a Sprite. I commented how I felt like I was in a hotel being treated this way. With a smirk on their faces, the nurses searched about the hospital and put together a mini goodie bag filled with a small bottle of shampoo, a toothbrush, toothpaste, body soap, and a small comb. I left the hospital that night with a smile.
            So although I did not participate in this service activity, I was on the receiving end of an extra kind act. It brought to mind the good feeling when someone goes out of their way to help me. It’s a nice break. Like when a walking guy’s backpack suddenly opens and all of his papers come flying out. It is a nice relief when a few strangers stop to help in a moment of need. Despite my “bah-humbug” attitude hospital volunteers assisted me and were kind about their service.
            Go ahead and volunteer at the local hospital. Utah Valley Regional Medical Center. They have a great facility and treat their employers, volunteers, and patients very well. Either go on their website at intermountainhealthcare.org and click the link that says “Giving & Volunteering” or call the hospital at (801) 357-7850.

No comments:

Post a Comment