Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The Healing Power of Horses


Not that I do service for selfish reasons, but some of the opportunities that BYU has to offer sound like so much fun. The most recent that I have looked a bit into is a service group called Horses For Healing. This organization offers horseback therapy to individuals with physical or cognitive disabilities. Now being a volunteer that doesn’t mean you just ride a horse around all day for free. Volunteers help out those with disabilities to receive their “horse therapy”. You know, I am at a bit of a loss how riding a horse can help someone get better from a previous disability. I always figured that riding a horse was pretty bumpy and that if you didn’t have a strong back then you would be pretty sore by the end of the ride. Any ideas on how riding a horse can be considered “therapy”? I don’t have the right answer so this is subject to conversation. Even if your hypothesis is made up and completely fake, it is a possibility.

Hypothesis #1: Maybe this horse therapy is especially for horse lovers. I have an older sister who absolutely loves horses. She would give up anything to just ride one for a couple of hours. This therapy could be completely psychological to help the disabled feel like they can still do something they love. Just an idea.

For the real answers contact the Program Director Cambria Morgan at horsesforhealing@byu.edu

4 comments:

  1. Cool post. You hooked me with the word horse. I am a complete lover of horses. I'm sure there's a lot that goes into the whole therapy thing, but it's not hard for me to see how it's effective.

    Horses are amazing animals that are extremely sensitive to human emotion. Horses have a way of communicating care like none other I've ever seen.

    Growing up, whenever I was angry, sad, or depressed I would go out into the corral and just sit on my horse. He'd just sit there with me quiet and still like he knew what was up. I always left feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that horses are extreemly sensitive to human emotions, and as such they can comfort in a way that other animals can't. It's kindof like having your best friend, who knows how you're feeling wothout you saying it, sitting right next to you. You know there's a problem you have to work out and you know your friend is there to help but you don't need them to fix the problem. You just need them to be there for you emotionaly so you feel like you've got a safe place for your emotions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not really familiar with the horses. So, I was surprised to see the horse therapy is not for the horses, but for the humans. I looked up a little bit and there's a bunch of different animal therapies as well!.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like this. I've always wanted to ride a horse, but unfortunately I am extremely allergic to hay.

    ReplyDelete