Friday, October 1, 2010

man's best friend

            “Leah Holley. Room #335. I think this is it,” I said as we approached our destination. My friend and I looked at each other with suspicion as we read the placard next to the door. In the Courtyard at Jamestown, you never know what will happen when you go do random visits. It is an assisted living home in Northern Provo along University Avenue, but there are several types of people there: those who are happy to see you and let you in, others who have difficulty hearing, and those who are grumpy with life. As we signed in at the front desk, there was a list of “Residents to Visit” of those who are new or might be a little lonely and after reading through the list, picked out a few doors to knock and see if we could visit them and make their day brighter. We picked out Leah Holley from the list and knocked, hoping for the best. My friend is a 3-year veteran of making these visits, but this was my first time visiting the Courtyards at Jamestown. Apprehension took over as I heard the door knob churn, then a shorter, white-haired lady open the door and the biggest smile I had seen since making brownies for my roommate crept over her face. I immediately knew that Mrs. Holley and I would become fast friends. This 92 year-old woman lovingly let us in and for over and hour, Leah told us about her life and shared with us some tender feelings about her family and the things she loved.
            In total I think I gave up between 1 ½ - 2 hours of my personal time that I could have spent taking a nap, browsing the internet, or any other useless activity. Instead I was able to give something that I do well to my Provo community, helping others to be happy.
Leah with her hand-made blankets
            Towards the end of our conversation, Leah pulled out some blankets that she makes and a few pictures and told us a sweet story of how she was able to donate blankets to an African country. The person who brought over the blankets took a few pictures to give back to Leah and she still has them. It was personally touching to see children wrapped in her Care Bears blankets with beaming smiles of love and affection. Leah will never know those children on a personal level, but her love will be imprinted in their hearts forever.
            Leah taught me that even at her age, people can still serve and help others less fortunate. That is what community service is all about.
            Serving in the Courtyard at Jamestown is so simple it is funny. All you do is go, sign in at the front desk, pick up a list of people who might be in need of a visit, and make them happy. For other volunteer opportunities at the center, talk to the front desk and they will gladly help you.I promise you won't regret it!

Courtyard at Jamestown
3352 N. 100 E.
(801) 377-3730

2 comments:

  1. I love going to the Courtyard at Jamestown! I have been taking voice lessons for two years and this is were we go to do our recitals every other month, the residents love coming to listen to us sing and it is always such a treat to visit with them afterward. There are so many amazing people to talk to there and they all have so many interesting things they can tell you about. I really agree with you Michael that you won't regret spending your time there with those people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! I also have been going to Jamestown with my famil and friends every month for over 5 years. We have musical concerts every month. I just love everyone there.!!

    ReplyDelete